Most Intro to Machine Learning courses cover supervised learning and unsupervised learning. But did you know there is also a third type of machine learning, which was used in the development of ChatGPT and is likely to become increasingly important in the not too distant future?
In this episode, Prof Michael Littman joins Dr Genevieve Hayes to discuss reinforcement learning – the other type of machine learning – as well as his new book, Code to Joy: Why Everyone Should Learn a Little Programming.
Prof. Michael Littman is an award-winning Professor of Computer Science at Brown University, specialising in reinforcement learning; is co-creator of the Machine Learning and Reinforcement Learning courses offered as part of Georgia Tech’s Online Master of Science in Computer Science (OMSCS) program; and is currently serving as Division Director for Information and Intelligent Systems at the (US) National Science Foundation. He is also the author of Code to Joy: Why Everyone Should Learn a Little Programming.
- What is reinforcement learning and why has it traditionally been seen as “the other type of machine learning”?
- Current and future applications of reinforcement learning.
- How reinforcement learning is being used to create business value.
- Michael’s new book, Code to Joy and why everyone should learn to code.
- How non-programmers can get started with coding and what it would mean for the world if more people did code.