The saying goes that if you’re not paying for the product, then you are the product. And every time you interact with the digital world, there’s a good chance your data is going to be harvested for some alternative use.
In this episode of Value Driven Data Science, Dr Kate Bower joins Dr Genevieve Hayes to discuss the data rights of consumers and what data scientists need to be aware of when using consumer data.
Dr Kate Bower is a consumer data advocate for Australian consumer advocacy group CHOICE, following a previous career in academia, where her focus was on qualitative health research.
- The rights and responsibilities of consumers and organisations, when it comes to personal data.
- How organisations currently collect consumer data and what they are using that data for.
- The use of “harvested” data in AI tools, such as ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion.
- What data scientists should be aware of when sourcing data for their work.
- How to source data ethically.